Carrot Cake Cookies
These carrot cake cookies live up to their name! They have a soft, cake-like texture, a sweet, spiced flavor, and a tangy cream cheese frosting on top.
▢ 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
▢ 5 tablespoons warm water
▢ 1 cup oat flour
▢ 1 cup additional whole rolled oats
▢ ½ cup almond flour
▢ ½ teaspoon baking powder
▢ ½ teaspoon baking soda
▢ 1 teaspoon cinnamon
▢ ½ teaspoon nutmeg
▢ ½ teaspoon sea salt
▢ 1 cup grated carrots, (about 3 medium)
▢ ½ cup almond butter
▢ ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
▢ ½ cup maple syrup
▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
▢ ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
▢ 1/2 recipe Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oat flour, the additional 1 cup rolled oats, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the carrots, almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup, and vanilla and stir well. Add the flaxseed mixture and stir well to incorporate.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and fold in just until combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Scoop ¼ cup of batter for each cookie onto the baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 20 to 24 minutes, or until browned around the edges. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cookies are completely cool, pipe with cream cheese frosting, if desired.