Delicious chipotle black bean roasted veggie enchilada casserole with layers of veggies snuggled between black beans, corn tortillas, a homemade chipotle enchilada sauce and cheese.
For the roasted veggies:
▢ 1 red bell pepper, diced
▢ 1 orange bell pepper, diced
▢ 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
▢ 1 red onion, diced
▢ 1 (8 oz) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
▢ 1 medium zucchini, quartered
▢ 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
▢ 3 cloves garlic, minced
▢ Salt and pepper
For the chipotle enchilada sauce:
▢ 1 (15 oz can) tomato sauce
▢ 2 garlic cloves, minced
▢ 2 tablespoons chili powder
▢ 1 teaspoon cumin
▢ 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from the can)
▢ 2/3 cup any milk of choice (we love almond or cashew)
For the layers:
▢ 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
▢ 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
▢ 9 corn tortillas
Diced avocado, jalapenos and cilantro
- STEP 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or you can also line two smaller baking sheets if that’s all you have available. Place diced bell pepper, diced onion, mushrooms, and quartered zucchini on prepared baking sheet(s). Drizzle with olive oil and toss garlic on top. Generously toss with your hands to coat the veggies with garlic and oil. Roast vegetables for 20-25 minutes.
- STEP 2: While the veggies are roasting prepare the chipotle enchilada sauce: In the bowl of a food processor, add the sauce ingredients and process for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- STEP 3: Reduce heat in oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan and spread out evenly. Place 3 corn tortillas over the sauce. You may need to cut one tortilla in half to create a single layer. Next add ½ of the roasted veggies and half of the black beans on top of the tortillas. Then drizzle ½ cup of enchilada sauce on top followed by 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- STEP 4: Repeat the layers again, starting with the 3 corn tortillas, remaining veggies and beans, ½ cup enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup cheese.
- STEP 5: Finally add 3 more corn tortillas on top to evenly cover the veggies and beans, then top with remaining enchilada sauce and 1 cup cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serves 6.