Grilled Eggplant Panini with Basil Aioli
This sandwich is loaded with veggies and has such a satisfying crunch. The melty provolone finishes things off perfectly.
▢ 3/4 cup mayonnaise
▢ 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
▢ 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
▢ 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
▢ 1 tablespoon lemon juice
▢ 2 garlic cloves, minced
▢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
▢ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
▢ 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 slices
▢ 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into large pieces
▢ 2 tablespoons olive oil
▢ 4 ciabatta rolls, split
▢ 8 slices provolone cheese
- For aioli, place the first 8 ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Brush vegetables with oil. Place in broiling pan and broil 3-4 inches from heat, or grill, covered, over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes per side. Chop the peppers when cool enough to handle.
- Spread cut sides of each roll with 2 tablespoons aioli; top each with cheese. Layer bottoms with eggplant and peppers. Replace tops.
- In a panini press, grill sandwiches until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve remaining aioli with sandwiches or save for another use.
- If you want to cook the sandwiches on an outdoor grill, wrap each individually in foil. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Try these sandwiches with large portobello mushrooms instead of sliced eggplant.