Roasted Chickpea Gyros
A Mediterranean favorite with a vegetarian twist.
▢ 1 15 oz can chickpeas 425 g, 1 ½ cup soaked chickpeas if starting from dry, drained and rinsed
▢ 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
▢ 1 Tbsp paprika* 7 g
▢ 1 tsp ground black pepper 3 g
▢ 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1.5 g
▢ 1/4 tsp salt 1.5 g
▢ 4 pita flatbreads
▢ 1 cup tzatziki (see recipe below) 250 g, use ⅓ recipe if you’re just making it for these gyros
▢ 1/4 red onion cut into strips
▢ 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
▢ 1 tomato sliced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
- Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!
- *If you don’t like spicy foods, halve the amount paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taste a chickpea before baking and adjust flavors as needed.
- If your pita breads crack when you fold them, cover them with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Assemble your sandwich immediately after microwaving.
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
▢ 2 cups plain Greek yogurt 480 g, can use dairy-free
▢ 1 cup shredded or diced cucumber 200 g
▢ 2 Tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar 30 mL
▢ 2 cloves garlic minced
▢ 1 Tbsp chopped dill
▢ Salt and pepper to taste
- Thicken yogurt: Strain yogurt using a cheesecloth or paper towel for 30 minutes to 3 hours to remove excess moisture (can skip this step if you're in a hurry).
- Prep cucumber: Meanwhile, sprinkle a pinch of salt onto shredded or diced cucumber and spoon into cheesecloth or paper towels. Let sit for a few minutes then wring it out to draw out moisture.
- Mix: Mix together yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic, and lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.