Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup
It can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, for an easy and crazy tasty soup everyone will love!
▢ 1 cup diced onion
▢ 1 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
▢ 1 bell pepper diced
▢ 1 jalapeno pepper diced
▢ 2.5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if needed)
▢ 15 oz canned tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
▢ 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa verde (or your favorite salsa!)
▢ 1 TBSP tomato paste
▢ 15 oz can black beans (drained + rinsed)
▢ 15 oz can pinto beans (drained + rinsed)
▢ 1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
▢ 3/4 cup dried red lentils
▢ 1/2 tsp chili powder
▢ 1/2 tsp garlic powder
▢ 1/2 tsp cumin
▢ 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
▢ 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream* (optional - see notes)
▢ salt and pepper to taste
▢ crushed tortilla chips
▢ shredded cheddar or mex-blend cheese
▢ sliced or diced jalapeños
▢ chopped red onion
▢ pico de gallo
▢ sliced avocado
▢ fresh cilantro
▢ sour cream or greek yogurt
- Below are the electric pressure cooker and slow cooker instructions, see blog post below for directions to make this bad boy on the stove.
- First, chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients.
- Next add everything but the heavy cream your toppings.
- This includes bell pepper, jalapeño, corn, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salsa verde, and all your herbs + spices. Toss them in and set IP to high pressure for 15 minutes. Walk away; FREEDOM!
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Stir in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- First chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients. This will make everything super easy to toss together!
- Next add everything except the heavy cream and toppings.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until dried lentils are cooked through and veggies are tender. My soup was perfect after 5 hours on high.
- Swirl in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and dive in!