This black bean and avocado veggie quesadilla recipe really is as quick and easy as it sounds.
▢ Avocado or store bought guacamole
▢ Veggies: I use a combination of red and orange bell peppers, corn, and jalapeno pepper for some spice. You can use this exact combo or sub in some red onion, different colored pepper, tomato, zucchini, or spinach leaves.
▢ Shredded Cheese
▢ Taco Seasoning
- First, you will need to prepare the sweet potato. Personally, to keep things quick, I like to cook mine in the microwave. Alternatively, you can bake the sweet potato, but you will need to set aside an additional 35-45 minutes for it to bake fully in the oven. If going the microwave route, poke numerous holes in the sweet potato using a fork. Next, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap in paper towels. Finally, microwave on high for 8 minutes or until sweet potato is squishy and very tender. While the sweet potato is in the microwave, get the filling mix going.
- Second, remove the ribs and seeds from the peppers and jalapeno (if using). Dice them into small pieces or strips (whichever you prefer).
- Cook in a large pan with olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Then add the drained beans, corn, and seasoning and cook for an additional 2 minutes until everything is warmed. Remove filling mix from pan and place in a large bowl. Now it is time to construct the black bean and sweet potato quesadillas.
VEGGIE QUESADILLA ASSEMBLY
- First, butter one side of the tortilla to help it brown in the pan.
- Next, take a few large spoonfuls of sweet potato and spread it on the opposite side as the butter. Then add half of one of the avocados on top of the sweet potato (I like to mash mine).
- Add your veggie quesadilla filling mix to half of the tortilla. I like to put it on half because it is easier to flip while cooking. Finally, sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese.
COOKING THE QUESADILLA
- Finally, it is time for the veggie quesadilla to get cooked. Place the tortilla butter side down in the same large pan you use for your filling. Cook on medium heat until the tortilla is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Lastly, flip your quesadilla over on to itself to make it into a sandwich.
- Repeat these steps until all the quesadillas are filled and cooked.
- Slice into 2-4 pieces and serve warm with additional toppings like sour cream, cilantro or your favorite salsa.